7/11/40

Battle of Britain (July 1940)

Hugh Dowding
RAF: Commander in Chief of Fighter Command
11th July 1940

The Air Ministry is hounding me to retire and has proposed five different dates for my retirement. Instead of letting me concentrate on bringing my squadrons to battle readiness, the Chief of Air Staff prefers to focus on the specific date of my retirement. They claim that I have been too blunt and disrespectful. But why should I have to sugarcoat my critique to those lower in rank than me?

Sir Cyril Newall, Chief of Air Staff, reasons that he has no other choice, as he needs to provide a path of promotion for others. The correspondence over this issue has dragged on for far too long, and proves the Air Ministry’s determination in appointing a new leader for Fighter Command.

My reluctance to retire at this crucial point is because there does not seem to be anyone who shares my determination to retain the current level and even increase the Defense Forces of Britain. I do not wish to have to continue diverting my attention from the defense of Britain, as this will compromise both my future and Britain’s.

Shipping has been disrupted due to attacks on British coastal convoys and air battles over the Channels. The Germans, led by Oberst Fink, have been presumably ordered to try to cut off our supplies. However, I am now in a dilemma. On one hand, if the RAF were to send fighters up to protect the shipping, then they would be involved in a battle of attrition and be worn out before the Germans launch Adlerangriff. Conversely, if RAF does not send any fighters up, then numerous British ships will be sunk. On 8th July, the Fighter Command had a total of 58 squadrons, but 8 are still non-operational. My main priority is to ensure that Fighter Command is not destroyed or paralysed as this would grant German planes unobstructed access. Also, the majority of the German Air Force, more than 1000 bombers and 400 fighters, are a direct threat to the No 11 Group, comprising of 12 Hurricanes, 6 Spitfires and 4 Blenheims squadrons; and 553 fighter pilots. If I were to engage squadrons from other groups, the security of other areas will be compromised. At this point, it is almost impossible to determine German objectives.

Radar is not advantageous to us at this point in time, as the German fleet is able to fly out of range. The German fleet had been expected to arrive from the coast and as such, most of the Chain Home stations are facing the sea, rendering them useless once the planes have crossed the coastline. Furthermore, it requires only 5 minutes for planes to cross the channel but takes 15 minutes for a Spitfire to climb high enough to fight them.

Thankfully, there has been an endless stream of solo German aircraft today, and we were able to send lone aircraft up to meet them.

No comments:

Post a Comment